Taking a break from my mental ramblings for a bit, time to ramble about something else. And after having quite the debate at work yesterday about The Beatles, and also my bursting at the seams excitement for our upcoming trip to Osheaga, I wanted to write a blog post about what I am currently singing at the top of my lungs in my apartment.
Summer jams. Everyone has a “song of the summer”. There’s music you listen to at the cottage, by the fire, on the patio, or when out for a bike ride. Summer is when I put away the heavier, slower music I tend to listen to during the winter (bands like Low, The XX, Bon Iver, etc all come to mind), and summer is when I blast The Heart and the Heart, Dear Rouge, Beck, and the list of course goes on. It’s also when I tend to tap into my guilty pleasures and dance my face off.
So here goes…
Songs of Summer 2015
You might catch me belting out one of these songs as I ride my bike:
- “Julia” by Fast Romantics
- “Dreams” by Beck
- “Lean On” by Major Lazer
- “Style” by Taylor Swift (I can’t help myself)
- “Sound & Color” by Alabama Shakes
- “Blame It On Me” by George Ezra
- “Worlds on Fire” by Zerbin (you may remember them from my rankings last year)
- “My Type” by Saint Motel
- “Open Season” by Josef Salvat
- “2 Heads” by Coleman Hell
- “I Want You To Know” by Zedd (and yes… Selena Gomez, but this song is also somewhat sentimental since it reminds me of my cousin’s wedding)
Albums of Summer 2015
This has been an amazing year for album releases so far, and the past few months have not disappointed one bit. Here’s what I am constantly listening to these days:
- “How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful” by Florence + The Machine (seriously, this album is off the charts good. I would love to swap lives with Florence any day of the week just to be able to belt out songs like her).
- “No Mythologies to Follow” by MO (you know her as the voice behind Major Lazer’s hit “Lean On”. Well her album is fantastic. Give her a listen for a great patio soundtrack).
- “Beneath the Skin” by Of Monster and Men
- “Wilder Mind” by Mumford & Sons
- “The Fool” by Ryn Weaver
- “Stay Gold” by First Aid Kit
- “Strange Trails” by Lord Huron (your perfect cottage sunset soundtrack. You’re welcome).
- “The Desired Effect” by Brandon Flowers
- “Coming Home” by Leon Bridges
- “Last Of Our Kind” by The Darkness (yes they’re still a band, and yes they are still releasing amazing rock records).
General ramblings about the state of music this summer.
I’ve already alluded to how epic I feel this year has been for music. And there’s still a whack of albums that we’ve either recently purchased (looking at you Tame Impala), or are on my list of “yet to come out and will soon spend all of my money on”. Summer is the perfect time for heading out to a concert (hellooooo no coat check line). I mean, how awesome is it to be outside at a show, watching the sunset, and rocking out to one of your favourite bands? And also one of my favourite moments in the summer is when you just get to sit outside, have a drink (whether it’s tea in the morning, or a glass of something else a little later…), and just relax with friends and have a great conversation. Or hell, even if it’s just sitting in silence, it’s still a great way to take in the season. I’ve already decided that where I move to next HAS to have a balcony, or some sort of outdoor space to relax. I can’t go back to being in an apartment without this option. Enjoying music outside in the summer has been part of my life since I was a kid. My parents sit out on their porch, and throw a bunch of CDs in the player and let the Random setting do the work. My dad has rigged the porch up with speakers, and my mom lights about 1,000 candles and it’s fantastic. I am so happy that a similar tradition has found its way into my life in the big city. You guys have no idea how much I cherish those moments. So get out there and discover all the great music that is being released right now! If you’re not sure where to start, turn back on the radio, or hell even go to HMV (yes they still exist) and pick the brain of the helpful staff. Or trust the “recommended for you” sections of iTunes, Songza, etc. Or dust off some old favourites!! Just whatever you do, make sure it makes you happy and makes you forget about whatever crap is going on.
Thanks as always for reading. Feel free to follow me on Twitter for TTC rants, random sports observations and much more.